How Clean Is Your Space?
What Is ATP Testing?
The detection of ATP through bioluminescence is a well-established and widely used indicator of surface hygiene and cleaning efficacy in food processing. Visual inspection is not an adequate critical control for surface hygiene and the lengthy time-to-result of microbiological test methods (from 2 – 7 days) make them ineffective for hygiene monitoring. ATP detection with the Hygiena swabs provides results in 10 seconds allowing for immediate “go/no-go” decisions to be made prior to the start of processing and allows for correction actions, when necessary, to be taken immediately. ATP is a molecule that is found in all living cells, including: bacteria, yeast, mold and all organic matter. After cleaning and/or sanitizing, food processing equipment and the plant environment is tested for ATP. If disinfection services and sanitizing services have been effective, ATP levels should be low.
Sanitize Long Island
How ATP Cleaning Verification can help!
In times like these, knowledge is power.
Hygiena™ has been closely monitoring the situation and the implications it has for our employees, customers and communities. During this time we have received a multitude of questions regarding our solutions as they pertain to the situation.
Due to this, we wanted to take this time to explain how our ATP Cleaning Verification products work and are suggested to be used in this troubling time.
How Hygiena ATP Cleaning Verification Products Work:
Hygiena’s commercial cleaning services verification products can tell you in as little as 10 seconds if a surface has been cleaned properly using ATP.
ATP is an energy molecule found in all plant, animal and microbial cells. It fuels metabolic processes such as cellular reproduction, muscle contraction, plant photosynthesis, respiration in fungi, and fermentation in yeast. All organic matter (living or once-living) contains ATP, including food, bacteria, mold and other microorganisms.
Hygiena™ ATP testing devices contain a natural enzyme found in fireflies. This enzyme, called luciferase, produces a simple bioluminescence (light producing) reaction when it comes into contact with ATP. Using bioluminescence technology, our ATP Meters can measure extremely low levels of ATP collected with testing devices. Measuring the amount of bioluminescence from an ATP reaction provides an excellent indication of surface cleanliness because the quantity of light generated by the reaction is directly proportional to the amount of ATP present in the sample.
How Hygiena ATP Cleaning Verification Products can be used:
- To track cleaning efforts and verify they have been effective.
- To verify that high-touch areas in your facility have been cleaned properly.
- To verify hand-washing has been conducted effectively.
- To verify that common areas, meeting rooms, and offices have been cleaned according to standard disinfection services.
- On the other hand, we wanted to clarify a couple points about our products’ capabilities.
Relevant Hygiena Product Information:
- ATP systems do not detect viruses.
- Hygiena does not produce a virus test.
- Performing ATP Cleaning Verification does not guarantee removal of viruses on surfaces.
- ATP Cleaning Verification should be used in conjunction with CDC recommendations and guidelines.